ToshandProm

Families are like fudge... mostly sweet with a few nuts. Call it a clan, call it a network, call it a tribe, call it a family. Whatever you call it, whoever you are, you need one.

Sunday, May 04, 2008

Taking a Step Back

In the beginning hours of each morning, the daily habit of making sure my kids are set and ready for the day comes automatically. It is an opportunity to bond with them as well as help make things easy for the kids’ teacher/caretaker to be set for the day. Today as the kids and I started our morning routine, I strongly suggested to my 4 year old that he wear warmer clothes on this rather overcast and chilly day. He insisted on wearing his light summer outfit that he had worn the day before and questioned frustratingly why he had to wear something warmer. I thought, “Oh great,here comes again another case that I must persuade this strong willed little guy of mine to comply with”. As I started to feel that impatient side of me quickly building up inside, I hastily told my son, “Ryan, my time is running out and I’ll be leaving soon. If you would like Mommy to help you, this is your chance now before our time is up and your caretaker will be here to help you”. He knew I wasn’t going to be around much that day, as I was taking that day off with my husband. In his low voice he calmly remarked “The sun is on its’ day off too”--figuring because it was cloudy and he had to wear warm clothes, the sun was not going to be around that day either. He then suprisingly complied to my request. My three year old then ran up to me and said “Mom, I have a picture of you” He then held a small mirror up to my face for me to see. “So, that’s what he pictures me this morning” I told myself. Upon hearing those rather amusing observations from those two little guys, it automatically brought my tensing side at ease! I didn’t realize how intense I let myself get over little things through out the day that don’t seem to be turning out right. It is those little moments of humor, sincerity and simplicity in my kids’ words and actions, that help me to step back and put myself at ease which busy times do tend to overlook. Being a mother, I enjoy and appreciate every bit of that side of life my kids bring out in me.
--Promise

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home