ToshandProm

Families are like fudge... mostly sweet with a few nuts. Call it a clan, call it a network, call it a tribe, call it a family. Whatever you call it, whoever you are, you need one.

Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Of friends and foster parents

I was listening to some Word this morning and for some reason I started thinking of the places I have been and things I have done growing up in the Family. I thought of the stories I have to tell the boys when they get old enough to understand them and about the people who I have known and that have taught me and taken care of me. Then it kind of dawned on me how much those people sacrificed to do the things they did for each of us. I know everyone who has been in a big Combo Home has their stories of the swats they got and the dish lines they served in but I haven't really heard many of the teachers who spent their days with groups of rowdy, rambunctious kids or the foster parents who took in other kids at the sacrifice of their own families. When we were in Denmark I remember my dad was gone a lot to Poland and other countries and my foster parents were Uncle Sam and Auntie Maggie. I don't remember too much of them but I remember Auntie Maggie always loved us and took care of me like I was one of her own kids, Uncle Sam I don't remember so much other than he was huge, a great big Danish guy and great provisioner. But if the circumstances were turned around would I be able to give the same kind of love and care to some other kids who I didn't really know that well and who were my shepherds kids to boot. Plus if rumors are true I was a pain in the ass as a kid, my Mom says that i would threaten my teachers that if they corrected me or gave me a swat my parents would get them in trouble. Of course I have no recollection of this but my Mom says that trick didn't last too long. Anyhow all that to say I really really love and admire the people who went out of their way to take care of us when we were younger. Those are the kind of guys who the Family was built on and I only hope I can show the same kind of love and self-sacrifice to others.

-Toshi

P.S. Here is Sam and Maggie, in my stories he is about 6'4, 250 pounds. If any of you know them or more specifically if you actually know Sam's size don't tell my kids. it'll ruin the story for them when they are older.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home